Welcome, Guest Login Register

How to create Photoshop Actions
Pinned Thread
This tutorial is for both beginners and novices. I feel as if not enough light is shed on such an important and useful feature that's included with Photoshop out-of-the-box. We can utilize the tool in Photoshop known as "Actions" to automate a series of events that we often repeat over and over in our projects resulting in a big time saver. Time to get started.

For this tutorial we'll be using a royalty free image from pixabay. You can download the same one used in this tutorial here.

Now lets start by going to File > New and creating a new canvas with your desired width and height, for this tutorial we'll be using 1280 x 720 pixels. 

[Image: 8wBv.png]

Now we have the perfect canvas made to get started, so now we have to import the photo we previously downloaded from above but any photo will work. Opening a photo is similar to creating a canvas we just go to File > Open and select the photo we want to open.

After you have the photo open make sure it's selected by clicking on the layer of the image itself and once you've done that we need to make sure the canvas is selected so we can copy the image and paste it into the canvas we created before we imported our photo.

You can do that by going to Select > All

Now copy it by using CTRL + C and navigate to the 1280 x 720 canvas we created and press CTRL + V to paste the photo in that we copied.

Everything is now setup so we can move on to the remaining part of this tutorial. Lets open our Actions menu by going to Windows > Actions for those that have never used this tool. Once we have the Actions panel open we can start creating our very first action.

For those that already know how to do the basic functions above you can skip to the part below without reading any of the above.

Now while viewing the Actions panel you should see a folder in it called "Default Actions", collapse that folder by using the arrow to the left of it as we'll be creating our very own in this tutorial.

Create your own folder and name it as you desire but for this tutorial I'll be making a folder called "Tutorial Actions". You can do this by clicking the "create new set" folder icon in your Actions panel.

[Image: OKJW.png]

Now with the folder we just created selected press the "create new action" button next to the folder button that we used above. A popup should appear that looks like this:

[Image: 0Qkv.png]

The name you can change to anything you wish, for this tutorial I'm just going to leave it as "Action 1". You may change any of the other additional settings but for this tutorial we're going to leave it as it is so click "Record".

For the sake of this tutorial and to keep this thread at an acceptable size we're only going to commit a few actions. So while this action is recording we're going to make a basic color correction for our photo using the Curves and Levels filters.

So inside your layers panel at the very bottom select the new adjustments layer icon and select "Curves".

[Image: 8wB8.png]

Now adjust the curves until you get something you're happy with.
Here's what I've got (Click to View)

Congratulations your very first action was recorded, now we can add a new "Levels" adjustment layer by using the same method we just used.

Play with the Levels adjustment until you get something you're happy with and you're done. Both adjustments were executed quite the same but they both served different purposes. To finish recording go back to the Actions panel and click stop.

Now if you've followed this tutorial correctly both the actions we just finished have been recorded and are ready to be used in this and any other project you make. You can play the action we just made by going back to the Actions panel selecting the action we created "Action 1" and clicking the play button.

[Image: GxJ0.png]

If you get stuck after following this tutorial or if I wasn't clear enough don't hesitate to ask questions below.
Really useful tool to get to grips with if you do projects with similar styles! Nice easy tutorial Wage, good read and easy to follow :)

There are some really good useful actions that people can download free with some cool effects if people want to get fancy with there work :P
(05-24-2016, 08:01 PM)Createch Wrote: Really useful tool to get to grips with if you do projects with similar styles! Nice easy tutorial Wage, good read and easy to follow :)

There are some really good useful actions that people can download free with some cool effects if people want to get fancy with there work :P

Hopefully people can learn from it, I've known experienced artists that didn't have a clue about what this tool did.