Welcome, Guest Login Register

What helps improve your skills?
What helps you improve your skills? Whether it be designing, creating art, photography, or even something unrelated like playing sports.

I've increased my knowledge of Photoshop over time by reading the official adobe documentation, watching video tutorials, and by just experimenting with the program myself. You'd be surprised by what you can learn by just playing around and trying to create something.

I also understand not everyone can sit down and follow a tutorial on something they barely know anything about without literally pulling out their own hair. So what process do you go through when you need to learn something new or want to further an already honed skill?
You can read and watch videos all you want. But what it boils down to is experience. Anyone starting on Photoshop should be creating a lot of work using the techniques they learned. This is mostly after you have gained basic knowledge on the program then you can begin to specialize.
For me it is all about just working at it. I watch a lot of videos for advice and new technique, but it is just actually doing the work and playing around with the program that improves my skill.
For me its always been experimenting with the program itself. Pretty much every piece of software i self taught myself.

Just load up the software, have a fiddle with the tools and see what i can make. Doesn't have to be good, but i try use as many tools as possible and get used to what they do.

After that, i focus on a project with that software and see what i can come up with :)
I like to do some research about the program and make a test logo/art thing and then decide if I need to use it. Oh and I love it when people respond to my art work.
Owner of Isaac's Logo service/I-Logos
Send me
A PM!

Most of the time I just like to be a self-taught person. I understand OP said something along the lines of reading tutorials and documentation but half of the time I am not the type of person who has time to read such material. So whenever I get the chance I'll just go 'sandbox' the crap out of something. I guess that says a lot about being a practical person.

On the other end I get my inspiration through looking at other people's work then reflecting on what I would rather do differently from scratch of course. Whether it's vlogging, editing videos, and so forth. I would say as long as a bigger part of you is able to speak your name over something instead of stealing/plagiarizing then that's great.
Quote:On the other end I get my inspiration through looking at other people's work then reflecting on what I would rather do differently from scratch of course. Whether it's vlogging, editing videos, and so forth. I would say as long as a bigger part of you is able to speak your name over something instead of stealing/plagiarizing then that's great.

I completely agree, in fact I was talking about something similar to what you just said on another forum. Even popular social networks like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc take ideas and inspiration from other public sources. That I have no doubt.