Welcome, Guest Login Register

How do you charge your clients?
As a freelance graphic designer I don't have any fixed prices and don't charge by the hour. It really just depends how much time and effort I put into the design itself and coming up with a price range that we can both be happy with.

Do you charge by the hour, have fixed prices or have another system you use when judging how much to charge your clients?
When it comes down to working freelance with clients, i tend to vary between project based pricing and by the hour. For simple projects like a rebrand or logo identity i give a set quote based on the tasks I've got to do.

On the other hand, if i have a big project to do like a web design or multiple jobs ( e.g. I'm currently creating a set of newsletters, invites and reminders for a company) I would charge by the hour for this. My usual price is £14 per hour. Of course everything is discussed first with the client and i give a rough estimate of how long the project will take so to provide a rough overall price.

So yeah thats how i price :)

Thanks
(06-29-2016, 10:21 AM)Createch Wrote: When it comes down to working freelance with clients, i tend to vary between project based pricing and by the hour. For simple projects like a rebrand or logo identity i give a set quote based on the tasks I've got to do.

On the other hand, if i have a big project to do like a web design or multiple jobs ( e.g. I'm currently creating a set of newsletters, invites and reminders for a company) I would charge by the hour for this. My usual price is £14 per hour. Of course everything is discussed first with the client and i give a rough estimate of how long the project will take so to provide a rough overall price.

Thanks

I've never ever charged by the hour, and it's hard doing something like that unless it's something really time consuming.
(06-30-2016, 12:10 AM)Wage Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 10:21 AM)Createch Wrote: When it comes down to working freelance with clients, i tend to vary between project based pricing and by the hour. For simple projects like a rebrand or logo identity i give a set quote based on the tasks I've got to do.

Thanks

I've never ever charged by the hour, and it's hard doing something like that unless it's something really time consuming.
Yeah its definitely hard to get into cause you have no idea where to price yourself especially when money is a awk subject as it is. But for the big projects you spend more time on, you may of underpriced yourself if you quoted them before and not realised the job will take longer. Personally much prefer pricing by the hour but it very much depends on the project.
(06-30-2016, 07:10 AM)Createch Wrote:

Thanks

Yeah its definitely hard to get into cause you have no idea where to price yourself especially when money is a awk subject as it is. But for the big projects you spend more time on, you may of underpriced yourself if you quoted them before and not realised the job will take longer. Personally much prefer pricing by the hour but it very much depends on the project.

There's also the problem of finding quality clients that would accept an hourly paid developer/designer.
(06-30-2016, 07:47 AM)Wage Wrote:

Thanks

There's also the problem of finding quality clients that would accept an hourly paid developer/designer.

Dont really have an issue with finding people for it. Depends where you look. If your going on freelancing sites then yeh, many people expect a stand up price. But I've found that when working for proper companies and you go in and talk to them face to face, they prefer hourly rate for some reason.
(06-30-2016, 07:52 AM)Createch Wrote:

Thanks

Dont really have an issue with finding people for it. Depends where you look. If your going on freelancing sites then yeh, many people expect a stand up price. But I've found that when working for proper companies and you go in and talk to them face to face, they prefer hourly rate for some reason.

I haven't been freelancing long enough to do work for big companies and the alike. Most of the clients I encounter are referred from old ones or friends. Freelancing isn't something I intentionally do a lot, it's just something I do on the side when I'm bored or when someone needs something done. But it's easy.
(06-30-2016, 08:02 AM)Wage Wrote:

Thanks

I haven't been freelancing long enough to do work for big companies and the alike. Most of the clients I encounter are referred from old ones or friends. Freelancing isn't something I intentionally do a lot, it's just something I do on the side when I'm bored or when someone needs something done. But it's easy.

Yeah thats understandable :) Its an easy thing to do for a little bit of extra money :) I just ended up doing it too long that its now my job :P
(06-30-2016, 08:04 AM)Createch Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 08:02 AM)Wage Wrote:

Thanks

Yeah thats understandable :) Its an easy thing to do for a little bit of extra money :) I just ended up doing it too long that its now my job :P

I wouldn't call it too long, definitely if you enjoy doing something that makes you money.
I generally don't decide on the price until I've finished the design, although I can give a ballpark range of what it will be based on past transactions.
My prices are based off of how much time and effort I put into a design.
If I have to go back and change a bunch of things at the clients request, it'll end up being more.
But if it takes me 5 minutes and it's very simple, it will end up being less.
I don't really see a need to charge set rates per hour.